Governors are volunteers who help to run the school. The strength of a governing body lies in working together as a collective. Governors do not have individual powers and therefore teamwork is essential. Governors are responsible for the strategic development and direction of a school and act as a critical friend to the school.
The Remit of Our Governing Body
Our Governing Body has responsibility for ensuring that St Joseph’s fulfils the aims and values encompassed in our vision and mission.
- We are accountable for the performance of the school
- We plan the school’s future direction, set aims and objectives as well as targets for achieving objectives
- We provide advice and support to the school and act as a ‘critical’ friend whilst maintaining a positive and effective partnership with the school’s Senior Leadership Team and other staff
- We make decisions, agree and monitor the school’s budget
- We make sure that the National Curriculum is taught, appropriately adapted for the special needs of our pupils and students
- We promote high standards of educational achievement
- We decide how the school can encourage students’ spiritual, moral and cultural development
- We make sure that the school provides for all its students, including those with complex and challenging needs
- We review and monitor progress within the strategic framework.
Our Governing Body is made up of a combination of Foundation Governors, who represent the Catholic Diocese and reinforce our catholic values, Staff Governors, Governors representing the Local Authority, Co-opted governors who represent the Local Community and Parent Governors who represent the interests of families.
In addition to our Governing Body, our meetings are attended by the Executive Principal, Clerk to Governors and invited members of staff.
If you have a matter you wish to raise regarding the day-to-day running of St Joseph’s, in the first instance, please contact our Executive Principal or Head Teacher.
If you have any queries for our Governing Body, please contact our Clerk to Governors: